Saturday, May 19, 2012

I'm back!

So I've had some trouble keeping up with my blog lately. I have been kind of busy (I mean, how can you not feel busy when you were doing nothing for months and now you have lots to do again!). But really, not much has changed with my ankle. I talked to Dave at PT again to tell him the results of "pushing it" since surgery is back on the table anyways. Pushing it went pretty well, but I did have pain. And the more I tried to push, the more pain I had. Apparently I misunderstood what Dave wanted me to do - I was really supposed to push it in a calculated way. For example, I am supposed to do a week of walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes before increasing to 25 minutes the next week OR increase the speed the next week. I was increasing time and speed in the same week. He said I should do the same thing with swimming - increase my distance by the week - not drastically. Oops. So I've been trying that more lately. But I think a combination of being busier and wearing my Birkenstock sandals more and my tennis shoes less day to day have caused my foot to be really sore. I tried to walk on the treadmill for my normal 25 minutes on Wednesday and had to get off after 12 minutes due to pain. Man! :( This week on Thursday I also did some walking in DC in my Birkenstocks after my foot was already sore, and I am still in pain Saturday morning, although I have been resting, elevating, icing, and wearing my pain patches, and wore tennis shoes to work yesterday. It was worth it to get out and get back to real life and seeing friends though! It's not unbearable pain today, but it's not good either. Time to take some Advil and get out to see more loves today! I love when friends who have moved far away come to visit - it's the best!!

No comments:

Post a Comment