Sunday, April 22, 2012

I've been gone so long, everything has changed...

Wow - you neglect your blog for a few days and suddenly everything changes! I don't like change! I can't figure out how to use these new things yet, so bare with me...

I've been pretty busy lately I guess. Since the passing of my supervisor things have been a little chaotic at work. Then my co-worker who was put in charge of most things went on a two and a half week vacation, which has been tough! I'm feeling very burnt out on social work this week! That makes it hard to do other things like go to the gym after work, but I'm pretty proud that I've been pushing myself to try and get there. And I always feel better once I get there.

I've also been busy trying to get back in a little bit of shape! Swimming (while still very tough!) has been getting easier! Betsy and I are ready to write some workouts now! This is very exciting news!! In fact, I swam a whole 500 (thanks to a push from one of my swimmers actually) and did 100's free on a descending interval. I nearly died, but I did it!!

My ankle has still been having a lot of pain. I try to wear the pain patches at night, but they're nearly impossible to keep in place during the day. My co-worker who is a nurse suggested I really rest it and elevate it more after work. I also finally had to call Dave at PT last week. The pain is not going away, so I am feeling unsure how much to push myself. Dave was really awesome and helpful as usual! He told me that since another surgery to take out the screw is on the table, I should go ahead and push myself and see how things go. I'm supposed to call him this week with a report back. I did the elliptical for 25 minutes Friday at the gym without too much pain, so that was good. I'm also planning to try the bike and push it on the treadmill a bit this week before I call Dave back. I've been resting and elevating and doing some icing (which Dave highly recommended) this weekend and my ankle hurts, but it isn't that bad. It's also raining, which I know not because of looking out the window, but because of the pain in my ankle, like an 80 year old grandmother could tell you as well.

Finally I'm trying to really make an effort to eat healthier. I've got to get some of the weight that I gained sitting around for a year off! I was doing really well getting in shape with kickboxing and boxing last March before the injury. I've got to get back to there, and then some... But it's really tough and I'm feeling a bit cranky about eating my veggies this week. I hope it gets easier! My nurse (aka co-worker - I've adopted her as my own nurse) agreed with me that losing some of the weight would be easier on my ankle as well. Finally someone agrees with me! PT would always say not to worry about it that the weight would come off easily. Well not for me, I have to work at it! And I have a feeling it's not going to be easy... Encouragement needed loves! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment