Saturday, August 18, 2012

First Pre-Op Appointment

Yesterday I had my first pre-op appointment. This one was with the PA at the Foot and Ankle Center. I got last minute questions answered and got all of my prescriptions for after surgery. It sounds like this surgery will be a cake walk compared to the last one! Let's hope so!

The PA said that there is a fluid pocket around the hardware in my heel, which is what's causing the pain. Interesting - I hadn't heard that before. No matter though, the screw is coming out and the fluid should go away and so should my pain. She said I would be put under and the surgery would only take about 5 minutes for them to back the screw back out of my heel. Awesome! I got my prescriptions for my antibiotic and pain killers to take after surgery, as well as an anti-nausea medication in case I need it. They went over my allergies to meds, etc. I even got my post-op shoe to wear! I get to wear that instead of a boot this time. I am not allowed to walk or drive for at least 5 days after surgery, and should be off my feet and on crutches for 7-10 days. I will have a big dressing on again that can't get wet and won't be removed until my post-op appointment a week after surgery.

We talked a lot about how the pain would be nothing compared to last time. That sounds amazing to me. I WAS IN SO MUCH PAIN LAST TIME! And for a long time, too. I can't even accurately describe the amount of pain I was in after surgery - it was just so intense and so bad. I honestly felt like if I ever have children some day, I could do it without drugs after this surgery pain. But then again, I also know I don't deal with pain well... But relatively less pain than last time, YAY!! The main reason I have to be off of my foot is so that the incision will heal. So I am planning things to do while I'm in bed again. I'm getting out the ice machine and lots of pillows to elevate my foot on. Knowing that it will be a short time I'm stuck in bed helps. It's more like a mini-vacation this time - with an end in sight! Sounds good to me!

Time to drink some milk! I'm loading up on my calcium so that my bone is ready to heal quickly since it will have a screw-sized hole left in it after surgery!

No comments:

Post a Comment