Monday, September 3, 2012

Second Surgery

I had my second surgery on Thursday and it went really well! My mom and I arrived at Woodburn Surgery Center just after 11am, I got registered, and then they took me back pretty quickly. I got changed into my fashionable hospital gown and accessories (read: awesome socks with anti-slip grip), and they went over my medical history again (seriously this was like the 5th time). The first snafu came when they tried to put my IV in. My veins are always hard to find, but not being able to drink any water since the day before wasn't helping the nurse find them any easier. The only place she could put it was in my wrist. It looked uncomfortable, but they numbed the area, so I really didn't feel it until later. (Later trying to walk with my walker my wrist has been really painful).

Just before surgery Dr. Buchanan came out, went over what they were going to do today (take the screw out of my ankle to eliminate pain) and what to expect, and initialled my leg that was being operated on. This is one of the weirdest things to me - I know they want to get everything right, but when I have to write "yes" on my leg and the doctor has to initial it, it's just so weird! The next snafu was about my antibiotic. I am allergic to the antibiotic that everyone usually gets before surgery, so I have to have a different one. Apparently this is the same antibiotic I got last surgery as well. However, last time I didn't start getting the antibiotic until I was going under for surgery. Apparently this antibiotic can be "caustic" and getting it a little earlier this time meant that I felt it burn a little going in. Luckily I was taken back to the operating room pretty soon thereafter.

I walked back to the operating room with my nurse, who carried my IV bags, and I got on the table. The nurse said that as I lay down on the table my eyes got really big. Yes! They probably did. That was when it really hit me what was happening, but I wasn't nearly as nervous as last time. This couldn't be as bad! But sadly I knew walking into the operating room was the last time I'd be walking on two feet for a bit. It was very cold in the operating room, and all the doctors and nurses were very busy. I was aware the anesthesiologist gave me something in my IV that calmed me down. And after that I don't remember anything until I woke up in recovery...

When I woke up in recovery this time I wasn't crying! Victory! Funny story - my nurse in recovery, Wanda, remembered me from last time and how much I was freaking out when I woke up. Oops! hehe But this time I was ok - I was very calm. Until the next snafu - I suddenly began itching so badly! I was under anesthesia less than an hour total, so my antibiotic was finishing up in my IV. We think it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. It started with my scalp and was moving down my body. Wanda said I had a read line across my forehead. They helped me get my stylish surgical hat off, prepared Benadryl, and got the anesthesiologist while I scratched my head like a crazy person. The doctor came pretty quickly and gave the order for a half dose of Benadryl, since they were trying to wake me up and Benadryl was going to put me back to sleep. God bless IV's! The Benadryl worked right away. It stopped my itching and only made me a little sleepy. I drank my water and ate a couple crackers and they got my mom to come in. They brought my screw out to me and brought me a bag to take it home in. WHAT?? Thanks for cleaning it up, but I don't want that screw you just took out of my body! I took a good look at it - it was black and pretty long, maybe 4-5 inches? It looked like a normal screw. And then told them, "No thanks!"

I got a Vicodin for pain and ate some graham crackers and ginger ale with it to make sure my stomach was ok. Then it was time to go over instructions and get dressed. They got the wheelchair to take me out and before leaving I embarked on my first adventure on one leg - going to the bathroom! I remember this being the HARDEST thing to learn to do last time! Wanda helped me in and offered to stay and help but I knew I could do it myself. This time I was more prepared. I think my left leg is a lot stronger and prepared to do everything itself this time. I did it! Wanda continued taking me out to my mom's car and helped me in. Before we left Wanda told me she didn't want to see me back there again - unless I was there just to visit. Ok Wanda. I'll try!


This was the best my veins could do today. I was numbed at the time, but my wrist still hurts today! Owie!

Going home!

No comments:

Post a Comment