Monday, September 3, 2012

Recovery Part II

My recovery from my second surgery is going well and is a lot easier than the first time. For one, I am definitely in less pain than the first time. After my first surgery I had some heavy duty painkillers that could be taken every four hours. After three and a half hours it would have worn off to the point where I was crying and doing everything I could to make it until I could take another one (only icing and talking to someone to be distracted helped). Eventually the doctor's office let me take more meds, which just made me sick to my stomach. I couldn't sleep through the night without waking up from pain and I couldn't get in a comfortable position to sleep in for weeks. This time is way different. I am still in a deal of pain, but it feels manageable this time. I have Vicodin for pain which, while still a heavy painkiller, is less than I needed before. (I can't think of the name of what I had before, but it required my license to be checked to pick it up at the pharmacy. Vicodin doesn't.) And while I can take it every 4-6 hours, I am only needing it maybe every 5, and made it most of today without taking more. The biggest difference I noticed was that I slept through the night since the first night after surgery. YAY!! Maybe it helps that I've done this before and I know how to arrange my pillows, or that I just had a screw removed with one small incision instead of my ankle reconstructed with four huge incisions, but I have less pain and I can sleep, so I am happy!

Sleeping is actually the main thing I have been doing. I've been getting dizzy (I think from meds) which makes me nauseous if I don't go to sleep. I have an antibiotic that has to be taken twice a day on an empty stomach, and Vicodin that needs to be taken with food so my stomach doesn't get upset. Who decided that was a good idea? It's hard to fit everything in. But other than meds, everything is going well. I'm a bit weak. I'm staying in my bed, watching TV or sleeping, and just taking it easy. But sometimes using my iPad or computer for too long makes me dizzy. I'm honestly a little bored because other than my foot, my body feels fine, so it seems like I should just be able to get up and do things.

My sister asked me if I could tell if my foot felt better yet. Basically my foot feels like someone removed a giant screw from it. It hurts! So I think it's going to take some time to heal after this surgery and be able to tell if it's helped. I'm ready to be patient with my body this time.

My arms and my abs have been getting a great workout too. Between walking with my walker, to getting around my room and to the bathroom, my arms have been working hard. And my abs are the other thing that hurts - I think they're working really hard to pull me back into bed or keep me moving forward with my walker. Because I am actually an 80 year old woman and use a walker...

I am off work the rest of the week to continue to recover and rest. It's especially hard since my job requires walking and driving everyday. I also push people in wheelchairs most days. And I do all these things while carrying my own bag, water bottle, notebook, etc. I'm also at risk everyday of being attacked by a psychotic client - it's one of those things that they don't mean to do, and it doesn't happen that often, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to do my job when I can't get away from someone who tries to grab me if I needed to. My post-op appointment with Dr. Buchanan is on Friday, and I should be good to go after that. I actually can't walk even on my toes right now because I chose to have my ice cuff put into my bandages after surgery, instead of being put in my post-op shoe. Friday I should graduate to the shoe. Fingers crossed!

Hooked up to my ice machine. Still one of the best purchases ever made!

No comments:

Post a Comment