Monday, September 24, 2012

Back to Physical Therapy!

I got evaluated by Physical Therapy on Friday, and I've been hurting ever since!

Basically I am only stretching. I am so tight after not walking for just those 9 days or so that I have to stretch my foot/ankle/toes back out so that I can walk correctly. Friday Dave spent time measuring my movement and stretching my foot, ankle, and especially my toes out. I got hooked up to stim with ice and then instructed to stretch (I was given stretches for my calves, ankles, and toes - my Achilles tendon is keeping me really tight) and to ice down at the end of the day, and two other times a day if I can. Also, I still can't do anything activity wise. According to Dave the progression is swimming, biking, elliptical, walking on treadmill, and then running on treadmill. Right now my incision is not all the way closed so I still can't submerge it in water, so of course I can't swim. I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO EXERCISE!!! I feel like a blob, and I am SO frustrated.

Over the weekend I tried to stretch when I could, but only remembered to ice one night. My leg is so tight!! I had a lot of trouble stretching out even. And the part that was the most sore? My toes! What?? Who has ever had sore toes before? It's a weird feeling.

Looks like I'll only do PT for 4 weeks this time. One of my main goals is to get back into a real shoe. Because my incision is still open I have to wear the post-op shoe for at least this week. Then I hope to transition into an open backed shoe soon. I'm nervous about it because it's really tender back there and the post-op shoe is really protecting it. So I am trying to be patient with this too!

Today I went back to PT for my first real session. It was very much the same as Friday. Dave moved and stretch my foot/ankle. Then he massaged my scar tissue around my the outside/back of my ankle and deep down to my Achilles tendon. OUCH! That hurt and I am still sore. It has to get better from here, right?

Even just doing this is incredibly hard and painful. Ouch!


No comments:

Post a Comment