Sunday, October 14, 2012

Don't Read This Post If You're Easily Grossed Out

Really - don't do it. Let me tell you what happened two Fridays ago that changed my life, but I'm warning you, it's not for the feint of heart.

After surgery apparently not all of my stitches dissolved. So a few weeks ago I realized that I had a wire, like a fishing wire, sticking out of my heel. I called the doctor, who said that it would be ok to cut it off close to my skin since I have healed by now. UMMM WHAT??? I'm not cutting something coming out of my heel from surgery! That is not ok with me. So I tried to ignore it... But it was painful.

Dave (PT) asked me to really clean off the incision to make sure it was stitches and not dried blood we were seeing. When I did that - the wire started coming out of my foot. (AHHH!!!) At this point I had to do something about it. I sterilized scissors and cut it as close to my heel as I could. I was SO proud of myself. But there was still a little piece sticking out, and it hurt when something touched it, making wearing real shoes nearly impossible.

Dave told me I needed to be brave and just pull the last little part out. Whoa! Wait! No one said anything about pulling something out of my foot. Holy bejesus what is going on?? But I was tempted by the promise of it finally feeling better and finally being able to wear real shoes with backs on them... So I looked away while Dave so kindly helped me by taking tweezers and pulling out the rest of the wire. I didn't even feel it. He said it came out in two small pieces. I knew right away it felt better.

I don't know whether it was psychological or real, but I suddenly was not as cautious about my heel. I was walking better. And I felt like maybe I could wear real shoes. Maybe! But no matter what, I knew this had significantly changed the pain in my heel.

No comments:

Post a Comment