Thursday, November 22, 2012

Update: The Bad News

As you can see, my last post was written in the past tense... So things were going on wonderfully for about 2-3 weeks. I was definitely high on endorphins! And then came the bad news...

After pushing it hard for a couple weeks, high school swimming started. I spent time standing on a concrete pool deck everyday. I also joined Freedom again so I could work out before practices or swim after. About two weeks ago we had a Saturday practice where I worked out on my own (walking on the treadmill) and then I stood on the deck for over two hours. My foot hurt SO bad afterwards. And it didn't feel any better as time went on. I even noticed as I massaged my scars I could feel the outside of my ankle as if it was bruised. I couldn't massage one of the scars because of it.

I limped into PT last week and was so upset. I knew I wasn't going to be able to do any of the exercises I'd been doing. I was in pain. And I didn't know how long it would be to get better again. Dave looked at it, spent time manipulating it, and determined that I had compressed something on the outside of my ankle. It's still kind of a mystery how this happened. Basically, it should not have happened and we don't know why it did. It's an injury I got from doing these exercises, but isn't really related to my surgery. Weird. My main concern was how long this was going to take to get better. I'm tired of waiting to heal and am running very thin on patience!! I was supposed to be discharged from PT last week because I was doing so well. Instead I spent the week getting my foot massaged and manipulated (not as nice as it sounds, after an injury it hurts!),  hooked up to the stim machine and icing it down while elevated, and resting. I made an appointment for this week and the next. Yay! Not really...

Spending my time at physical therapy like this again...

No comments:

Post a Comment