Monday, March 25, 2013

Back to Physical Therapy

On Wednesday last week I was reevaluated at physical therapy for my knee and hip pain. I am less than thrilled to have to go back to PT again. It's a good thing I like Dave, my physical therapist so much. He's awesome!

So Dave has a new intern with him now. I wish I could remember his name, because he is awesome, and he is the one who actually did a lot of my eval. They asked me a million questions and did a bunch of tests. In the end they identified two problems.

The lesser of the two problems is my right hip. They don't think anything is actually wrong with my hip, they believe it is just weak from not being used after the surgeries. So I have a few exercises to strengthen my hip.

The bigger problem is my right knee. Again, a result of my life after surgery. They initially thought I might have torn my meniscus, but after evaluation decided that was not the case. Thank God! The problem is my knee cap is not tracking, and a myriad of other problems going on with my leg affecting my knee. My quad needs to be strengthened and my hamstring stretched. My glutes need to fire at the same time as my hamstring, and right now they are firing way after my hamstring, causing further problems. Basically, my leg is a mess after my ankle surgeries.

The WORST news of all? I AM BACK ON ACTIVITY RESTRICTIONS. AGAIN. I am only allowed to do these really basic PT exercises. I can't do any lower body workout - so no treadmill, bike, or even elliptical, or working out with my trainer. I can't even swim unless I only pull, and I'm not sure my shoulders are up for taking all of the burden right now. I might try it though, because my only other cardio option is the hand bike. Ugh.

Never thought I'd miss the treadmill! Darn knee... 

No comments:

Post a Comment