Thursday, July 5, 2012

My New Ankle Survives Another Busy Vacation!!

This (long) weekend my ankle and I got to take another trip. We made it!! And had a good time! While making some necessary adjustments along the way...

Saturday my mom, my sister, and I headed up to NYC again. I wore my Sketchers sandals that are very good for my feet. When it is 104 with a heat index of 115 I'm sorry, but I need sandals!! We got to NY early enough that we could do some shopping at Macy's and all on Saturday. Although we drove down to that area, there was lots of walking through Macy's and a bit to other stores to do. As the day went on I was in a lot of pain! I went back to the hotel to rest, but it didn't help much. This kind of pain means I walk slower (which is to say even slower than my current "normal") and sometimes am limping a little bit. It limits how far I can walk for sure. Luckily we stayed in Times Square where you can find anything you need including restaurants close of course! And the Marriott Marquis is right between the two shows we came to see!! After seeing the Broadway musical Porgy and Bess that night I went back to the hotel and iced my ankle before bed.

The Gershwin's Porgy and Bess! This year's Tony winner of Best Musical Revival! Amazing!! Even without the star Audra McDonald (from Private Practice anyone??) who was on vocal rest!
Sunday I made a woredrobe adjustment: I switched to tennis shoes. I was able to find a nice outfit for the theater that didn't look ridiculous with tennis shoes! We spent the day shopping on Fifth Avenue and stopped by St. Patrick's Cathedral before eating lunch and heading to the main event - the Broadway play "The Best Man" featuring Angela Lansbury, James Early Jones, John Larroquette, and many more! (See my pictures at the bottom!) It was not the type of show we are used to seeing on Broadway, but it was great! How many chances do you have to be in the same room as legends like Angela and JEJ?? AMAZING!! After the show we waited by the stage door to see them come out and hoped to get a picture and autograph. MY FEET HURT!! I am beyond glad I switched to tennis shoes!! But the promise of seeing these amazing actors kept me going and we waited long enough to finally see James Earl Jones come out!! Sadly, Angela Lansbury left earlier through a side door. We were so disappointed, but the woman is 90 years old, it was over 90 degrees out, and she's a superstar; she can do whatever she wants in my book! Dinner on Restaurant Row was amazing and then we headed back to the hotel to watch Olympic Trials (to look for my dad on tv!) and rest my ankle. I went back out for a bit that night. TENNIS SHOES ARE MY SAVIOR!! I feel like I can do anything in them!!

The Best Man - full of so many amazing actors!!
Monday we left NYC bright and early (if it wasn't summertime it would have been DARK and early! but we had places to go, people to see...) for the Boston area where I got to see my love and favorite bride-to-be Shannon!! We spent the day doing lots of wedding things which was very exciting! I didn't have to do too much walking though, so my ankle didn't hurt too bad! By the end of the day at dinner it was pretty swollen though. Sometimes I'm really glad when other people can see my swelling, because there are times my ankle/foot looks really good and I think everyone thinks I exaggerate my swelling! haha It's very weird, it will look just like my other ankle/foot in the morning, but as the day goes on it can balloon up to two to three times the size of the other one! What's going on?? But I digress... I am so happy I got to go to Tewksbury to see Shannon (it's been way too long again!), do wedding things (when will I get to do this again?? it's so much fun!! maybe I should have been a wedding planner instead...), make plans for her bridal shower (I CAN'T WAIT!! I'M SO EXCITED!!), and see Shannon's parents, Terry and his family, and Allison! Maybe I should move to Boston... I can think of at least one person who would like that! :)

After a long but AMAZING and FUN day with my love and favorite bride-to-be!
Tuesday was a travel day and I wore tennis shoes even though I was riding in the car. I love tennis shoes and they really are the best thing! When we got back my sister and I went to see Brave at night. It was GREAT!! Go see it!!

I am so glad to have today (Wednesday) off for the 4th to unpack and relax before going back to work for the rest of the week! I'm limping a bit today, but have to admit that I am not wearing shoes, which could be the problem. My original physical therapist Cristina told I should ALWAYS wear shoes now. My feet just want to be free sometimes!!

My ankle and I are hoping to take another vacation or two before the summer is over. There are so many friends to see!! But it will depend on when I can get the screw taken out after my CT Scan this weekend. I hope my heel is healing!


John Larroquette signing after The Best Man on Sunday!

Kerry Butler reaching over my head and signing!

Candice Bergen signing. Murphy Brown anyone?? Or any fans of Boston Legal??

Eric McCormack signing. AKA Will from Will and Grace! I miss that show!!

James. Earl. Jones. This man needs no other statement. He's that amazing - and oh so cute in his old age!!


No comments:

Post a Comment