Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Happy Birthday Snickers!

Last week we celebrated Snickers' 8th birthday. It's not really her birthday (we don't know when that is), but it's the anniversary of her adoption! In honor of the occasion, here's the story of Snickers...

Wearing her winter coat this year. Isn't she the cutest??
When I went to college (back in 2003!) my sister wanted to get a dog. My parents, (and sorry Dad) especially my Dad, said no. I think they thought they would end up taking care of it instead of Kelly. My sister persisted and with the help of our grandma, Mimi, kept working on them. For Christmas 2004, my dad wondered why Kelly didn't get a dog for Christmas. My mom took this as a sign that he had accepted the idea. :)
Kelly had found Snickers online before the holidays at the New York Ave Humane Society in DC. On their website it said that Snickers was found playing in the street when a friendly motorist decided she needed a safer place to play. He opened the door to his car and she hopped right in, ready to go! He brought her to the shelter. (I know. Doesn't that story just break your heart?!) Somehow, as cute as she is, Snickers remained in the shelter over the holidays.

Snickers picture from the shelter. Who could say no to that face??
In January 2005, my mom and sister picked me up from the airport, after my CUA training trip in Florida!, and we went straight to the shelter (which is close to Catholic). We met Snickers. She was so cute! She was happy to meet us, and walked around and jumped up on us. The poor thing had kennel cough and was a bit matted still. They thought she was about a year to a year and a half old. The people at the shelter had named her Snickers, and she didn't answer to that name at first. But we liked it, so we kept it.
Soon Snickers came home to live with our family. She had some trouble at first - she ate out of trashcans, ate pencils and other ridiculous items (actually this hasn't entirely stopped), and wet on her rug. We figured the trashcan eating was due to being on the streets for a while. She didn't bark for most of the first year she lived with us. We wondered if she even had a voice because we never heard her! (If you've visited our house more recently, you know that this is no longer the case.) Eventually, she settled in.

Kelly made Snickers this doggy pillow. It's still one of her favorite things.
My other favorite part of her story is when I came home from school that May. Snickers didn't think I lived in my house, since most of the year I hadn't been there. She hated me! She would tried to intimidate me and push me out of chairs or off the couch, claiming the spot for herself. She's the sweetest dog in the world, but she would growl and bark at me! After a few weeks, she finally accepted that I lived there too. We've been friends ever since.

Snickers and I getting to know each other in Summer 2005
Of course when Kelly went to college in 2006, Snickers stayed home with my parents. She has kind of become my mom's dog. Snickers chose her. My parents did end up taking care of her! But I honestly don't think they minded. Snickers has the best personality and has brought a lot of laughter into our lives. She is like a child to us. She's spoiled with toys, loves to play and go for walks. She sits on the furniture. She's pretty sure she owns the house. She's cute and cuddly and will snuggle up with you. She sleeps on a (human) bed with a pillow like a person. And no one greets you like Snickers.

Snickers, sleeping in my bed with her head on a pillow like a human.

Snickers LOVES Mom!
I've seen pets improve the lives of so many people. I know Snickers has done that for my family. I'm kind of obsessed with Snickers. I've always loved her, but since my ankle surgery she has been my companion many days. She has been very concerned over me and gentle with me. When I was using my scooter and only could use one leg, she was patient for her dinner because I was moving so slow. I've never seen that happen before! And although one day when I was walking with crutches (ok a walker because I'm actually 80 years old) she left a toy in my path to the bathroom, she otherwise has been my loving protector. I don't know what we'd do without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment