Saturday, January 21, 2012

Major PT Progress!

On Thursday morning I had major progress at physical therapy! I was put in Dave's schedule instead of Brenda's like I usually am, and I think Dave is not as nice and pushes me harder. I'm thinking about switching to him all the time! I started with 10 minutes on the bike as usual, but then Dave had me get on the treadmill for the first time! I walked to each side for 5 minutes each and then backwards for 5 minutes. It was hard! My ankle actually didn't hurt, but my legs were so tired! It's been almost a year since they've had a good workout. That's CRAZY!! Then Dave had me stand on one leg - my bad leg, of course. Ok. Fine. I can do that. THEN I had to bend at the waist to touch the floor while standing on one leg. Ummm - I'm not sure I could do that before surgery! But I did it!! It was A LOT of work for my ankle! But I was so happy to move onto more difficult exercises. I think I've been ready. I did the rest of my exercises and then practiced walking down stairs. That is the hardest things for me still, and Dave said that was normal and ok. But we started working on doing it correctly. Next time you walk down the stairs, think about how much your ankle has to bend. It is a lot! And my ankle still can't quite bend that much yet. Hopefully soon!! It was very exciting to do all of these challenging exercises!! But I was SORE later that night and the next day!

Friday night at my meet, I wore a shoe for the first time instead of my boot. It went pretty well. I did sit during the break and the 500 while taking splits. But for the most part I was able to stand before, during warm ups, and during most of the meet, while also running around as always. I really love coaching and I love those kids!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay Erin! You are such a trooper. I love hearing about your progress, and I love YOU.

    ReplyDelete