Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Weekend of Fun = Sad Ankle

Friday night some of my mom's students sang the national anthem at the Wizards game. It was so cool to go with them early and be backstage at the Verizon Center. We also met Ted Leonsis who owns the Wizards, Capitals, Mystics, Verizon Center, Patriot Center, etc. He pulled his car right up to the back elevators we were getting in and got out and started talking to us and the kids. He was very friendly and even got into the already-crowded-with-12-14-year-olds-elevator and rode with us. One of the boys knew who he was and asked to take a picture with him. It was really cute, and I think it possibly made his life.

Any ways, this means I was walking and standing from about 4:30pm until we finally went to our seats after 7:15pm. For me, that's a really long time. I wore my boot knowing that I would be walking from the Metro and standing a bit. But when I got home I could barely walk to get off the Metro again and went straight to bed to put my foot up. It didn't do much to help though. When I woke up on Saturday it was still pretty swollen and stiff.

Saturday afternoon I had a swim meet. I put the boot on again in preparation. The kids were so cute and noticed right away (after finally wearing a real shoe all week at practice!). "Coach Erin! You're wearing your boot again!" I really love them. Anyone who has ever been to a swim meet knows that I was then standing for quite a bit again. Not to mention practically running with a swimmer who cut her foot during warm up to get a bandaid to stop the bleeding so she could swim the first relay, running around trying to find someone who almost missed his event, finding all the 500 counters, etc. When I got home, even though it was only 7pm, I went straight to bed again. I was aching! I tried to just rest and stretch it a bit the rest of the night. It didn't help.

When I first woke up this morning I could barely walk. I would have used my crutches if they were still out my foot hurt so bad. I couldn't decide if I should rest it more or try to stretch it and get it working. I opted for resting it more. I'm thinking this was the right move because when I tried to stand again a few hours later it was better. Now that I've been walking a little bit it's feeling ok. But not great still. I guess I won't be going anywhere today. Boo.

"Backstage" at the Verizon Center before the Wizards game
Ready to walk onto the court before the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment