Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What does "normal" mean?

I'm writing my first post from my new iPad! I've been so busy over the holidays because finally there were other people around during the day for me to see!

Last week on Thursday I got re-evaluated at PT since I had an Ortho surgeon appointment this week. And there was progress! According to Dave (PT) my foot now moves within the normal range of motion! Now don't get me wrong, this is very exciting, but it still doesn't feel normal to me. It's definitely not where it was pre-surgery. My left foot can also point like a ballerina, as they say, or as I say like a swimmer. Apparently this is not normal and your foot shouldn't point that much and my new right foot will probably not go back to pointing that much. Ok. Well I hope it doesn't effect my kicking! Being in the normal range of motion also means that I should be able to walk normally. I cannot. I'm still walking with a limp. Dave says this is because I do not have the strength, especially in my push off (because I can't stand on my toes yet) and because I am trying to get off my foot quickly. I'm hoping this improves soon.

Today I went back to Dr. Buchanan, the Ortho surgeon. He was very pleased and impressed with my progress! He said the biggest scar looks good and it will eventually be a white line that's not too noticeable. I'm so glad, because I have been worried about that one incision. Also that it was ok not to wear the brace and that I can still wear my boot if I feel tht I need it (usually to walk far or if I'm sore or swelling more than usual). But over the next month I should move to only wearing a shoe! I told him how nervous I've been to wear a real shoe on the pool deck while coaching because Cristina (PT) made me so nervous before. Dr. Buchanan said I shouldn't worry about it because my ankle could take a minor slip and fall at this point. So I'm going to wear a real shoe to swimming! Let's see how long I can stand for...

My biggest concern is getting back to normal activities. For me, that's working out - last year for my birthday I got a brand new road bike for triathlons that I haven't been able to use. I want to finally ride my bike! I want to be able to swim and run, do yoga and Pilates, and box again (yes, I do still want to BOX. But no kickboxing after my ankle was reconstructed I think...). At PT I see people who are athletes doing crazy jumping in boxes and onto round things. Dr. Buchanan says I have several months left before I can do all that. Dave and Brenda at PT promised they would get me to the point of jumping, but it's several months away. My recovery is about a year total, so I still have almost 9 month left and it will be at least another 3 until I can try to run. It's hard to be patient, but my foot is definitely not ready for anything tht intense yet! I just like to know when things might be coming!

2011 was probably the worst year of my life for many reasons. I know I still have most of 2012 to recover from my surgery, but at least it finally feels like I'm moving in the right direction and can get healthy again in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment