Thursday, March 15, 2012

6 Months Since Surgery!!

Today marks 6 months since my ankle reconstruction surgery!

Yay 6 months!
My body decided to celebrate with its enemy gravity, and one of my worst fears for the past 6 months finally came true: I fell. :( I worried about slipping and falling on ice in the winter (of course that was pretty silly this past winter!). I worried about slipping and falling on the pool deck. I used to worry ALL THE TIME about falling, especially after first starting to walk again. But in all this time I haven't fallen (except the day I lost my balance while I was still in my cast. But that was actually ok.). Today as I was leaving work I don't really know what happened, other than simply falling off my really expensive Danskos that they made me get to properly support my new ankle. Freaking Danskos. It was one of those things where you know you're falling, and you try to stop, but it just makes it worse. If my ankle was normal, I think it could have corrected itself and I wouldn't have fallen over. But since it's still weak I had to give in and just fall over. Awesome. I'm surprisingly ok. My ankle definitely hurts, and I scrapped my arm, but I survived! What my doctor said was true - I SURVIVED A FALL!!

Ok, so other than this unwanted "celebration" I've actually come a surprisingly long way in just six months! It seems like a long time since surgery, but it's gone by really quickly at the same time. I've come a long way from the extreme pain I was in after surgery, basically living in bed (in my sister's room because my bed was too high!), to not being able to walk on my right foot at all after getting my cast off, to moving up to actually walking and walking correctly and driving!, to hours upon hours of physical therapy and exercises, to walking and driving a bit further, to swimming, to going back to work... It's really been a journey and I've come a long way!! But there's still so much to do! Next week I have my next appointment with my surgeon. Hopefully there's good news!

In the next six months I hope to:
*continue to build up my ankle strength
*build up to more activities (dare I say "normal" activities??)
*have less swelling
*take good care of my scars so they continue to diminish
Basically, continue making progress!

Balloons. Balloons are perhaps the best way to celebrate. Purple balloons are definitely the best way to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment