Saturday, March 24, 2012

Disappointing News from Surgeon

Wednesday I went to my ortho surgeon appointment. It was 6 months after surgery and he wanted to make sure that I was standing on my toes and running. I am not.

I was hoping he would say maybe by April I could run. That's what I've been thinking at least. But sadly, that is not what he said. He basically told me that I should start to think of my total recovery time as a year long, and that I should not expect to run until September. He said he would like to think that people can run 6 months after surgery, but that's often not the case. For me, he says, this is not the case. I am taking longer to heal, and that's ok.

I am still having a lot of outside heal pain where my heal was moved. My doctor prescribed a long lasting anti-inflammatory drug since I still have a lot of swelling and pain. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing if it will help.

The worst news of all was that I might have to have another surgery to have the screw taken out of my heal. He said this is done sometimes for people who are still having pain in the heal. He also said it's a very simple surgery and the recovery is only a week. Apparently the screw (that I thought would always stay in my ankle now) could be taken out and my heal would stay in its new position. WHAT??

Overall I'm really disappointed and upset about this news. I really want to run and get into normal activities! I want to go back to normal life. I don't want to be in pain anymore and have a huge swollen, painful foot! This has been going on over a year now, and over 6 months since surgery! I'm trying to remain positive, but it's been hard. When I have a pity party I just think that it's not fair. But then, what is fair in this world?

I go back to the doctor in three months - at the end of June, to evaluate whether I need to have the surgery to have the screw taken out. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment