Sunday, March 4, 2012

Kindness: New Co-Workers

I might be biased, but I think social workers are amazing people. They are kind and caring, and help take care of some of our most vulnerable populations. I love being around other social workers, and I've really missed it these past few months! Sure there are lots of other kind and caring people you will encounter, but working with other social workers is really special. I love having clinical conversations with them. They are great listeners. And no one else can really understand what we do unless they've done it. That's why co-workers are so important, especially in social work.

I finally got to go to my office Tuesday afternoon after I'd finished a day and a half of Arlington's County Orientation. I was secretly hoping my co-workers might have left me a welcome note, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. (I work with two other social workers and a psychiatric nurse, plus our supervisor who is a social worker. It's a small team and the more I get to know each of them, the more I think they are amazing and I know I've made the right choice to join them!) When you have a job like we do where we're in and out of the office (mostly out), it's hard to know who will be there when you arrive. I was hoping they hadn't forgotten me! When I walked in I got the best surprise ever! Not only had they left me a note, they had also tied a "Welcome" balloon to my chair! I almost cried. It was so kind and so welcoming and I really appreciated them thinking of me in such a nice way.

My welcome balloon and note from my co-workers at my new desk!

My note!
When I thanked them for it, they each had such cute responses. My supervisor said they weren't sure who would be in the office when I arrived, and they wanted to make sure I felt welcomed. One of my co-workers said they'd been waiting for me to come for a long time. It was so nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment