Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cake Pops

Making cake pops was an adventure! I have been wanting to try it and a pasta dinner for the high school I coach was the perfect excuse to try my hand at them. This is how I did it, with some advice from some lovely ladies who were kind enough to help when I had a cake pop emergency! Let me warn you, this is not for the faint of heart!

1 box of cake mix (and ingredients to make it)
1 can of store bought icing
melting chocolate (can find this at Michael's or a baking store)
anything else (candies, coloring, etc.) you want to decorate with
lolipop sticks
wax paper and/or something like styrofoam to stick the pops in to dry

Make the cake as directed on the box. Mash it up in a large bowl and mix it with 1/4 to 1/2 the can of icing. (Do NOT use too much icing! 1/2 the can is probably too much, but I did use that much). Form the mixture into small balls and put in freezer for about 20 minutes. While they are in the freezer melt your chocolate and color it if desired. Add about 1-2 tablespoons oil to thin the chocolate.

Take cake balls out of the freezer. Dip the end of the lolipop stick in the chocolate (to help it stay in place) and push it about halfway through the cake ball. Dip the cake ball into the chocolate to cover it. Gently tap it on the edge of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place cake pop either on wax paper or in a piece of styrofoam to dry. Decorate as you desire.

Mine were only halfway successful. I made them but was unable to decorate them after I burned my last batch of chocolate. I made them purple and was going to put a black "B" on them for Battlefield High School. Oh well. They were delicious! The kids and parents LOVED them and I did not have a single one to take home! Success!!

(I used yellow cake mix and cream cheese icing, which tasted like donuts, and a chocolate cake mix with chocolate icing. Delish!)

Getting started.

My cake fell apart, but that's fine because you have to mush it up!

Cake pop fail! It was too heavy because I used too much icing in my cake mixture.

Cake pop success! I used a styrofoam block to put them in. Be careful and make your holes ahead of time or the styrofoam will get allover your cake pops.

Cake pops ready for transport! But sadly not decorated.

No comments:

Post a Comment