Sunday, December 11, 2011

Surgery

I was pretty nervous and wondering if I had done the right thing advocating for surgery. I asked a ton of questions about the surgery and recovery to try and get a picture of what was going on. Even doing that could not have really prepared me.

When I went in for surgery I was still really nervous, but convinced this was the right thing to do. It turns out, it really was the right thing. Here's what happened:

First they opened the back of my calf to lengthen my achilles tendon (not the torn tendon). Then they opened the outside of my foot to move my heel bone over. Next, they inserted a screw into my heal to keep it in place. Apparently they had to break my bone or shave it or something in order to do this. Later, this was the source of a lot of my pain when I was able to walk again.

Finally, for my biggest incision - they opened the inside of my foot/ankle. They were able to see right away what was wrong. The tendon had a tumor on it that was eating away at it. They removed the bad tendon, pulled down and reattached another tendon to replace it, and repaired a ligament.

The tumor was benign. If it had not been removed it would have continued to eat away at my tendon and other parts of my ankle. I thank God everyday that we advocated for surgery and did not wait another six weeks to have it done!

No comments:

Post a Comment