Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Extending PT - Bad News or Good News?

After originally being told by my surgeon and physical therapist that I would only need PT for 4 weeks, and extending to 5 weeks because of my forgetful brain, I am now extending even more. It's bad news because it means I really haven't made enough (any??) progress, but good news because it gives me more time to work on it I guess. It's also bad news because my schedule is already a bit overextended this month and next month, but I need to do this so I will make time.

Yesterday I got to PT and I was in a bad mood. I don't know if it was my day at work, the crazy woman at PT before me, the annoying PT intern, or just being plain frustrated with my foot and lack of progress, but I was not a happy camper. When I thought about it my ankle wasn't feeling too great that day - it was more swollen than usual, etc. and an unhappy ankle means an unhappy Erin. Dave noticed right away that I wasn't too happy and asked me about it. I tried to express my frustrations in sitting around for a year and a half because of my ankle, but I just got really upset. I was at least able to express my frustrations that all I can do is stretch at PT. Dr. Buchanan said those famous words - let's make sure you're back to all normal activities including running in three months, again and it freaked me out. I don't think I'll be running in three months - my ankle sure doesn't feel that way. And it didn't happen the first time. So Dave decided that starting on Wednesday we're going to "turn things up a notch." I'm supposed to bring my workout clothes and we're going to start harder workouts in the gym. I'm happy about this; I love to be pushed. I will push myself as much as I can, so I'm happy to have permission and someone to help guide me in doing this. Recently I've been afraid of pushing myself too hard and being in major pain or re-injuring myself. Being pushed while at PT is the best thing because Dave can make sure I'm pushing it the right amount and doing things correctly. I can handle the pain. I'm really hopeful this is finally going to help, but also cautious at the same time. I haven't had many things go the way they are supposed to recently, and I could really use some good news about my ankle.

When I have clients who focus on the negative I ask them, what's going right? I'm going to social work myself and ask myself what progress I have made. I do have a little more flexibility in my ankle. I am walking better and not limping most of the time. I also can not only wear a real shoe but now can wear a shoe with a back on it. So maybe there's a little progress in these areas, but I want to get back to "normal." Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment