Sunday, October 28, 2012

I Can Jump!!

Wednesday was the first day Dave decided to push me harder in PT, and it was awesome. I warmed up by biking for 5 minutes and then I walked on the treadmill 5 minutes in each direction. I was pretty proud of my walking, especially backwards and to each side. I didn't have any pain in my ankle. I thought it was over there, but when I got back to the PT room I stretched and then did JUMPING. And yes, I can jump now!! I jumped backwards and forwards, and side to side over a line. And I could do it. This was amazing to me because before I had the screw taken out I could barely stand on my toes. Now I can not only stand on them, I can jump (which requires a lot of work for your toes). It was amazing. I finished up PT that day by balancing on my bad foot and bouncing a ball back and forth to the PT intern. My balance on that foot sucks. I checked my left foot just to be sure I hadn't totally lost my ability to balance, but the left was fine - I could stand on just my left foot all day. So it's the muscles in my right foot that aren't there yet. Just to pass the ball back and forth three times in a row took forever and almost didn't happen, that's how bad my muscles are on that foot at keeping me balanced. I iced and had stim before I left.

On Thursday when I woke up I was a little sore, but honestly not as sore as I thought I would be after all that work (which was a lot for me after being on activity restrictions for SO long especially after this surgery). What actually hurt was my left knee. What?? I was a super-grump for a while that day, limping around, and I thought I was going to have to call Dave about it. I mean, why was my left knee hurting? It made no sense and it made me mad! But I tried to walk around a little more (I did a lap around two floors of our assisted living facility that day) and to my surprise, it got better. I didn't even have to take Advil or anything (the pain was that bad that I thought I would have to). And it hasn't hurt since.

Yesterday I did a bit of walking with my sister to run errands and things. I wore my (ortho approved) flip flops instead of Birkenstocks or tennis shoes, and I think this was a mistake. Towards the end of the day my foot got a weird cramp-like feeling in it. It was like the arch of my foot needed to be stretched, but was simultaneously kicked. It was weird and painful. Resting it at home helped and I've been stretching it out since. I guess it's time to put the flip flops away for now anyways... except for the pool deck. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment