Saturday, February 25, 2012

Discharged from PT!!

Thursday was my last day of physical therapy (PT). I WAS DISCHARGED!!

Now, honestly, if I wasn't starting my job Monday, I think we would have asked to renew the prescription for another month. I don't really need it because I can do most things at home, but I do still have some work to do. Going to PT twice a week is a good way to make sure that's getting done - not only do I do everything there, Brenda and Dave check in with me about what I've been doing at home. If I feel like I need it, I can get a prescription and go to a new PT that has early morning or late hours closer to work. (My surgeon has PT there, although I did not originally like them...) I am going to miss Brenda and Dave - they are really awesome and I've enjoyed spending a couple hours a week with them (and Cristina before she had her baby!) for the past 8 months (Yes - since July, minus the 6 weeks splint/cast time after surgery)... but it is undoubtedly time to move on! Side note: I will also miss all of the old men (think 60's and up) who liked to joke with me and tell me my smile is pretty. I mean, who doesn't like to hear that from a sweet old man?!

So I've been discharged, with a list of things to work on, and the knowledge that I can go back at any time and call with any questions. Seriously, if you're in Northern VA, Dynamics Physical Therapy is awesome!!

Gotta stretch those calves!! This is not me, but this is how I will stretch my calves...
Things to Work on After Being Discharged From PT

1.)  Continue doing strengthening and stretching exercises. I need to do balance activities and other strengthening activities to continue to build the strength back up in my ankle and leg. I need to walk on uneven ground to get my ankle to work, etc. Stretching is also important, as I've learned my Achilles tendon in both legs (even though the right one was lengthened during surgery) are very tight and short. They think this is from swimming. Maybe it's just how God made me, but what it means is it's more likely that I will blow out my Achilles tendon at some point. So I have to always keep my calves stretched out.

2.)  Work up to standing on my toes. I still can't stand on my toes with weight on my right foot without having really bad pain on the outside of my heel (where they moved my heel bone, etc.). Brenda and Dave suggested I work on this in the pool first and work up to doing it on land. They said I'm way too young to give up on this and decide to never stand on my toes again. Yeah, I agree...

3.)  Get in the pool! I need to get exercising and get some of this fluffiness off! I can't wait to build up to doing more things and be able to work out again. Also, I need to walk in the water to build up strength. Before I can run on land, I have to be able to run in the pool. And obviously I need to get in the pool to work on standing on my toes.

4.)  Build into activities gradually. I want to get started doing things, but I have to do this very gradually due to the kind of surgery I've had, as well as the amount of time I haven't been able to do any activities. I need to be able to stand on my toes before I can run because you push off your toes when running. Things like this frustrate me, but I'm going to try to be patient. The best advice I've gotten for this was...

5.)  RESPECT THE PAIN. Before I left PT Dave gave me the best advice ever. Respect the pain. This is going to be my new motto. There are several older men who go to PT at the same time as me who have had knee replacements. When they come in Dave stretches them and they practically cry in pain, but they have to have assistance to get it stretched straight. Dave reminds me everyday that my surgery is a "totally different animal." After having my ankle completely reconstructed, I need to pay attention to my body and back off if I have pain. Basically his guideline was try something and see how you feel. If it's ok, go a little further, or try something else. But if it hurts, more than just muscle soreness and more than a day or two, back off and rest!!

No comments:

Post a Comment