Saturday, February 25, 2012

My New Job!

I got a new job! I'm very excited to be able to work again and to have found a job! I've been applying to things for months, and even got several interviews, but getting a job has been another long journey in my life.

My new job is working with older adults (65+) with mental illness, trying to divert them from the state mental hospital and keeping them in their local communities instead. I'm excited to feel like a real social worker again (are you still a social worker when you're not working??). I'm thrilled to continue counting my hours for my clinical license. I'm excited to be part of a team of social workers again. And I'm excited to try something new. I've never worked with older adults before, so this will be new but exciting. I think when you're starting out as a social worker, it's important to get a bunch of different experiences in order to grow as a social worker, grow your knowledge, and see what you like and don't like in the field.

I miss my old job, but it required A LOT of walking and driving everyday in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in DC. I miss my ladies there - both my clients and my amazing coworkers! My new job will be a challenge building up my stamina at first and getting my ankle used to it, but it will be less walking and driving and much safer for me at this time. And I'm staying involved in the field I've been most passionate about by volunteering for a sexual assault online hotline.

Side note: I want to encourage all of my friends who are looking for jobs to keep your chin up and keep looking! I've changed jobs every year since I graduated from grad school in 2009. The economy has always sucked, but it's even worse right now. It took applying to at least 60 or so jobs each time to get ONE job offer. And (sorry, but we all know I'm an education snob) I have a masters degree in my field from an Ivy League University. Bottom line: It's extremely hard to find a job right now, but keep applying, keep following up, keep making connections and networking, and try not to get too down about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment